Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dedication: To Debbie and her dad

First of all...let me explain this photo. One, I didn't take the picture and got it off google. Two, this is a picture of an extremely beautiful butterfly that is common to Costa Rica, especially in the south where I am right now. Three, this butterfly is special because when its wings are closed its colors are a dark brown with black spots but when it opens it wings to fly BOOM all the colors pop out at you. So if your lucky the butterfly will come out and open its wings so you can get a glimpse.

I would like to make a very special day of dedication, from Rio Claro to Dominical 120k (my hardest day yet) to Debbie Shu^s Dad. Debbie was so kind enough to donate $50 to the cause. Mike asked if she had a dedication and eventually Debbie told us that she wanted to make a dedication to her father who has been battling lung cancer for the past 2 years.

I had a moment on my big day. I was cruising along in Costa Rica when the highway turned more into something similar to a back road. The road turned into two lanes and started to take me into this valley. I was surrounded by these massive jagged mountains on both sides covered in green thick jungle. I eventually rolled up on this older looking bridge. Below it was a creek. I could see, off to my right, the river bed wind and turn up into the mountains. I could feel the cool breeze coming off the river which was a nice relief from the hot and humid day.

My mind was clear at the time. I was just taking a breath and chilling on the bridge when Debbies dedication came to me. I thought I would dedicate that moment to her and her father.

I have no idea what its like to have to battle something so tuff as cancer. Or to even have a family member so close to me, like my father, battle cancer. Im not even sure what to even say at times like this. I talked to Mike a bit about this, [what do I even say?[ Well...we came up with this. Debbie we send you our love and positive thoughts. Mike and I have a mantra for this bike trip and maybe you can take something from this. We take it one day at a time, little by little... well get there. We feel optimistic and we believe that being positive will bring us to our goal. Were surrounded by people who support us and will help us around every corner.

Crazy thing...right then this butterfly came out of nowhere. It was HUGE. The colors were so bright. It was beautiful. Maybe the butterfly felt the vibes I was giving out.

It was a great day on the road. My hardest and longest yet. The last 30 kilometers were such a tease as well! Downhill...Uphill...Downhill...Uphill... My legs were throbbing and it hurt so much but finally I got there! An amazing day!

Thanks again for the donation Debbie...

Aaron

No comments: